HEALTH WITH JESSICA

A healthier Zucchini Bread

I love taking recipes and revamping them!  It’s usually pretty easy to do, although it doesn’t ALWAYS turn out wonderfully.  Here’s one that did!

Please keep in mind…this is not a “clean” recipe.  It has sugar and some white flour.  It is greatly improved from the original recipe…but this is where I exercise my 80/20 rule!  I eat clean 80% of the time and treat myself the other 20% of the time.  As long as my diet is super healthy and well balanced…I will have my healthier (not perfect) zucchini bread (a portion of it) and NOT feel guilty about it or freak out!  I have ice cream in my freezer pretty much all the time, people!  This is part of my 20%.  Do I eat the whole carton?  NO.  Do I sometimes want to?  YES!!  But, I don’t.  I like to allow myself this balance.  I feel better and less obsessive about what I’m eating.  There are times I really clean my diet up and refocus, for sure!  However, on a day to day basis I’m all about the 80/20.  So…here’s a 20 recipe for ya!  😉

Zucchini Bread Makeover
Zucchini Bread Makeover

 

Recipe:
3 cups shredded zucchini (2 to 3 medium)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
teaspoons vanilla
eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
teaspoons baking soda
teaspoon salt
teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup groud flax seed
*options: add1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup chopped nuts, 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions

Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350F. Grease bottoms only of 2 (8×4″) loaf pans…or make muffins and use muffin liners!

In large bowl, stir zucchini, sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs until well mixed. Stir in remaining ingredients except nuts and raisins. Stir in nuts and raisins. Divide batter evenly between 8-inch pans or scoop into muffin tins with liners (I use a cookie dough scoop for this).

  • Bake 8-inch loaves 50 to 60 minutes, muffins about 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on cooling rack 10 minutes.

Soooo…what’s different here than the original recipe?  (Click here for the original Betty Crocker recipe.) I cut the oil in half, cut the sugar by 2/3 cup used mostly whole wheat instead of just white flour and added flax.  You could do more to make it healthier…I know plenty of people enjoy using applesauce instead of sugar.  I don’t like doing this.  I feel it changes the consistency of the bread too much for my taste.

 

About Jessica Parker

A wife, mom, step mom, fur mom, Jesus girl, certified health coach & fitness instructor with a masters in health Psych. I love helping people find balance & health in their lives while living vibrantly.

I want to hear what YOU think!

Scroll To Top
%d bloggers like this: